Room Inside a Box

"There is no room inside a box." ~Doug Pinnick

Name:
Location: Tamaqua, Pennsylvania, United States

I started this blog as a soundboard for some much needed therapy during my separation with my wife throughout much of 2005. It was truly a blessing to get my thoughts out there through the writing process. Thankfully things have worked out between us. I would have continued to blog, but ever since I started my teaching career, I have found it impossible to do as much blogging as I would like to. So now I hope to periodically post as time and energy allow.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Smart-asses of the World Unite!

I just read Tom's entry and I must say that there’s one point to make about Project Ass: she IS an ass. There’s no way around it. When people say “Be nice” or “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all” they are really saying: “Stop saying what we all know is true.”

I am not saying that we shouldn't be kind. But being nice usually stems from societal standards. It's something we tell our kids, but we never practice ourselves. It's an ideal. I'm not about to bring Jesus into this entry, except to say that "nice" usually has a double standard. I do believe in the "Do unto others" rule, but that runs into snags with "Two wrongs don't make a right" and such.

What I am saying is that we should find the humor in things whenever possible. Here at the office, we’re supposed to sit back and allow Project Ass to be a righteous know-it-all who has proven time and time again that she doesn’t know much...

Except...

---Tom Cruise is correctly dissing prescription drugs and psychologists; they are unnecessary and only used by the weak.
---You should never try to attack an attacker because in 97.5% of cases, it will not work.
---The Maya culture included several different languages, some of which she could speak. But who the hell is going to argue the finer points of Mayan lexis?
---Spontaneous combustion IS real and HAS happened numerous times. (So there.)

She makes comments because she is a pompous ass, but we're not supposed to point out those traits via smart-ass remarks? Heh, I don't think so.

I personally don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a smart-ass. I come from a long line of smart-asses.

After all, humor gets you through the day. As my dad always says, “No one likes a smart-ass.” That, of course, is usually what he says after making a some smart-ass comment himself. I guess you learn from the best.
Maybe the world is becoming too politically correct. Hell, I really think so. With a little bit of humor, things wouldn’t be so detrimental. Where would we be without Shakespeare, Mark Twain, W. C. Fields, or Michael Moore?

I also come from a long line of bullshitters.

And, as my dad likes to say, “You can’t bullshit a bullshitter.” So can we stop pretending George W. isn’t a wasteful product of nepotism who says stupid things? We ALL say stupid things. Why should we think that he is above that because he bullied his way to the presidency?

I will continue to make smart-ass comments because I CARE about the world. Humor can help us all. I'm simply trying to make the world a better place. Jesus would like that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Damn It Anyway said...

Hey I'm not spam!!! Weeeee!!!
Frankly I hope W is drinking again...it sure would explain a lot of things.

September 22, 2005 8:12 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

Are you saying you're not a tasty meat product? That could be taken the wrong way.

October 04, 2005 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home