Room Inside a Box

"There is no room inside a box." ~Doug Pinnick

Name:
Location: Tamaqua, Pennsylvania, United States

I started this blog as a soundboard for some much needed therapy during my separation with my wife throughout much of 2005. It was truly a blessing to get my thoughts out there through the writing process. Thankfully things have worked out between us. I would have continued to blog, but ever since I started my teaching career, I have found it impossible to do as much blogging as I would like to. So now I hope to periodically post as time and energy allow.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Me and Noah Go Way Back...

terriamachine wrote: "It's not the spelling of the word I take umbrage with; rather, it is the inconsistent logic with which my contributing partner is speaking from . . . ‘Sorbet’ is the same thing as ‘serbet’ and ‘serbert’ . . . As far as I know, all three spellings are pronounced the same, just as all three spellings of the word pronounced ‘shammy’ (‘chamois,’ ‘shammy,’ and ‘chammy’) are all pronounced the same."

Did you mean to write serbet and serbert (missing the “h”)? I ask this because no such words exist in Webster’s dictionary. That would seem to be a spelling error. Too bad you didn’t read your own entry for spelling errors.

And I also think you meant LOW talker when referring to the Project Ass who sits across from me, not close talker. Seriously, dude, you should read over what you write!

As a side note, here are some words to look up in Webster’s:
1. Pompous
2. Pedantic
3. Pooh-pooh (since you spelled it wrong in “Those Damn Insurance Companies” entry)

It is not inconsistent logic that I would have a problem with Webster’s changing the PRONUNCIATION of a word by changing the SPELLING of the word. Chamois and Shammy are pronounced the same way. Sherbet and sherbert are NOT. One is sher-BET and one is sher-BERT.

Let me break it down for all you kids out there:

Sherbet: as in “I got a sure bet at the racetrack.”
Sherbert: as in “Sure, Bert, I’ll take a bath with you.” [Think Bert and Ernie.]
Sorbet: as in “Sorbet is pronounced ‘sore-bay’ or ‘sore-bet.’ ”

This is exactly the kind of crap that I didn’t want to happen with my entries. Why should I have to defend my thoughts? Why should I have to explain the joke? And why should my contributing partner be able to edit my entries? Why stop there? Why not take out my comments about George W. or how religion is bullshit? (I haven’t written that one yet, but give me time.)

And besides, all of this was spoken in jest, making fun of a childhood pet peeve that had to do with my last name. Most would get that I was trying to be humorous. Shammy and chamois, as my contributing partner, Mr. Linguist, pointed out, is pronounced the same way despite the spelling. I believe it comes from the Native American and means, “Buffs cars with sheepskin.”

Of course, as Webster’s also points out, this all depends on how far up your tight ass your thumb is located.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

umbrage.. i love that word..

October 27, 2005 11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home